Saturday, March 10, 2012

Windsong lives!

Well after a few hours spent out on Ty's boat Izzy I was anxious to get Windsong out on the lake. I fixed the throttle set screw thanks to my good friend Chandler down at West Marine and fired up the old diesel engine. The boat idled to a purr, well more of a clackity clack, clack but that's how a diesel purrs!

The original plan was to motor around for a few and then dock, but we ended up taking the covers off and raising the sails (dozens of spiders became homeless today) letting them get some wind. There were several mud dobber nests falling and breaking all over the deck. The sails are in decent shape, they will need some cleaning but overall they appear to be good for a couple seasons and then as backups when we get new ones down in FL.

Ty brought a friend out to the lake named Jake that grew up on a sailboat cruising with his family including his little sister. They started when he was 5, sold their home and everything they owned to buy a boat and sail all over with the kids. Jake says looking back it was one of the best things he has ever done in his life, with nothing but good things to say. We talked about a lot and he was a great hand to have on the boat.

Having the extra help really came in handy when it came time to dock. I had heard Endeavour 32's were notorious for prop walk but had never experienced just how annoying that can be. The boat literally takes off to the left when trying to back up and will pretty much do circles no matter what way the helm is turned. I've figured if I build momentum then put the transmission in neutral I regain my steering. It's a game of throttle and feathering that I'm sure will take some getting used to, and probably won't be attempted by me alone for quite some time.

Here are some pictures of the day.














1 comment:

  1. Ilove it, the entire story of your life! You & Jess know the true meaning of really living & following your dreams. The kids are getting so big! You really should write a book about your life, folks could learn a lot from you and Jess on how to TRULY live their lives passionately & taking risks is the only way to get there. I'm so happy your well and I will follow your journal, I'll live vicariously through you & Jess ha! Ha! Give my love to Jess & the kids, happy sailing! PS. Didn't you get really sunburned when we were in HI?? Please be careful !!!! Love & hugs

    ReplyDelete