Friday, September 5, 2014

My Wife The Sailor

This is Jessica's first Unofficial blog post, unofficial because I'm doing a copy/paste from her Facebook status. She doesn't contribute to the blog, as a matter of fact she doesn't write much at all. To say I was surprised to hear her say "read my Facebook status" would be an understatement, the next 2 minutes caused my stomach to hurt and summed up our crossing perfectly.. Here it is folks, a women's perspective on an overnight crossing ;-)

So my dreams of "cruising" in my sailboat have finally come true. We (the young family) have set up our lives to work little and travel a lot. The restaurant that I work at is closed for most of September so we decided to sail to the Bahamas  The overnight sail included autopilot failure and a decent storm, but we survived  I would like to share my experience of "night watch". For those non-sailors, "night watch" is a night shift at "the steering wheel" (especially when auto-pilot fails) to make sure we are staying on course, look for traffic (i.e. cruise ships and cargo ships) and to make sure all systems are working.
My very good friend Hilary Carney Badoian was kind enough to share her experience of night watch. Hers was very well written and almost poetic. I want to describe my thoughts and feelings that I had with myself while on night watch.

"This is amazing.....are we there yet?......I am going to die and I am taking my family with me....I am a horrible mother....I am giving my children the best experience ever....are we there yet?....where the hell is my flashlight?.....OMG, is that a 1000 ft cruise ship or bioluminescence?....This is living.....I hate all people that are sleeping right now....hey, that's my flashlight rolling around in the cockpit...I guess that was just bioluminescence....wow the stars are amazing....are we there yet?....the only star I care to see right now is the sun....thank you little boat, please stay strong (in my best Chris Farley voice for Kimberly Wylie)....LAND HO!



1 comment:

  1. Hope all is going well, waiting on your next update. Working on following in your foot steps. My husband read your blog with great interest- I maybe able to get us going sooner by doing the work while we prepare stuff.

    ReplyDelete