Wednesday, June 12, 2013

KAINOA

While the naming ceremony is yet to be performed, the lettering is on and the boat somehow feels more ours. The other name might have had some significance to a specific person, but boy was it God awful. So here she is the S/V Kainoa



As I type this I'm listening to the song Kainoa by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. 

WirieAP

Yesterday I solved a problem that has been restricting my access to the internet by purchasing a device that picks up networks up to a mile away, rebroadcasts under the network name of my choice and my entire boat has WiFi. Sounds almost too good to be true, but it's a great little device and well worth the money. I was spending a fair amount per month buying data for the Ipad and with the entire family using it, it went quickly. Now they can use all they want and it runs off the 12volt battery bank on the boat. The powered antenna and the router all run 12volt with 1 power cord! When I installed it yesterday it brought up no less than 40 internet connections, including Wendy's which is almost a mile away and obstructed by buildings. 




The best part is the device is mounted at deck level and is still working this well, elevating it will greatly increase it's range and networks! Heck I might just throw it at the top of the mast lol. There have been people anchored in semi remote places that have picked up an unobstructed signal at over 5 miles.. Think about how many WiFi networks there are within 5 miles of you right now, needless to say I'm ecstatic. 

Paddle-boarding

Our friends Charles and Hillary came over for dinner the other night, and in addition to a great meal Jessica got to go paddle-boarding for the first time. However I'm sad to report there was no falling in, upsetting since I had the camera out and was ready for a viral youtube hit! I did get some decent photos though. 








Here is a shot of a waterspout from one of our recent storms. 


More to come soon, stay tuned!





2 comments:

  1. Hey Cory! Where did you purchase your new router? Thanks, Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right here http://www.thewirie.com/marine-wifi-product-AP.html

    It's built like a tank, and made by a fellow cruiser.

    ReplyDelete