Sunday, December 23, 2012

Santa Is Not The Only One Making A List

So as Santa is making his list and checking it twice, I'm making a list of my own and just trying to check some of the things off. Our departure date is up in the air and could be anytime between Christmas day and January 4th depending on equipment and my ability to get the boat ready. There are far more things involved in making a trip like this than you would think if you've never done it before. It's quite daunting actually and the smallest mistake could turn out to be a big deal. 

I've looked over maps, charts, cruising guides (Thank God for Skipper Bob's ICW guide) and planned a route using paper charts, websites, GPS coordinates and a little bit of guessing. We will be doing a mixture of Intracoastal Waterway and going "outside", this will be the first time Jess and the kids have been offshore so I will wait for a good weather window to make it not terribly traumatic. Then we make the run from Lake Worth down to Biscayne Bay before heading in to the West side of Key Largo. From there we take the West Side of the Keys to either Channel 5 bridge or come in and under 7 Mile bridge into Boot Key. 

Each day I make a To Do List and try to check off as much as I can, hell sometimes I even write one or two things on there I've already done just so I can cross them off right away. Yeah, yeah I know, but it really does help me get stuff completed. Tomorrows list includes

1. Run Jib Halyard
2. Grease Pulleys 
3. Fill Water Tank
4. Test Holding Tank
5. Operate Windlass
6. Check Bilge Pumps & note GPH
7. Jack Lines for offshore
8. Post Ads for both cars on Craigslist
9. Clean Decks & Cockpit
10. Rewire Port Navigation light

That should end up being a full day, but I can't tell you how much fun we are having doing all this work. Tomorrow morning we also have to say goodbye to more friends as they head out on their adventures, but I'm sure we will run into them again soon. Dan and Linda (see blog post below) are making the trip to Key Largo and are leaving around 9am. Today Dan and I ran into Stuart and did some shopping at the hundred dollar store (West Marine) as well as grabbed some last minute items around town. I had some needed safety equipment as well as new paper charts I wanted to have on the table before taking off. 

Last night we went to a cookout here at the marina and some of the guests set up a PA then played some music. Our friend Claude played guitar and fiddle while his wife Michelle (They are from Quebec) played keyboard. Colby and I got up and played a bit and I ended up sitting in with them for some Beatles, Dylan and Eagles songs. It's amazing how music finds me wherever I go, even in the middle of Florida ;-)

So that's it for right now folks, mostly just getting ready for the trip to Marathon. Testings systems from batteries to the new pressure cooker. I filled the propane tank today and we made some Matzo ball soup on the stove to test it out. Anchored out we shouldn't feel like we are lacking whatsoever, we have everything to be self sustainable. That brings me to number 11 on my above list, make another list for provisioning! Food, drinks, soap etc. I swear it never ends.. Actually I hope this all never ends.. 

Merry Christmas!

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment