Thursday, July 26, 2012

Big update, big fun!


Well this past Monday was a great day of sailing, with consistant winds and blue sky. The kids and I pushed off the dock around 9:30am and sailed her back into the dock around 5:30pm. In between was a great time and the kids did all the sailing! We set off on a port tack and sailed for almost an hour without changing a thing except adjusting a sheet or two here and there. Colby was at the helm the entire time including as we sailed right through the narrow & shallow channel at Andersen beach swim area. The winds swirl and change direction quite frequently in there and with not much room for error it was a challenge. This narrow pass is a challenge for many people that choose to sail in between the land masses, many don't even attempt it. 


After passing through the channel and rounding the island Peyton took over and without much help was able to sail us through past Bear island and Party cove. Peyton was at the helm for quite a while and several times I was below deck and not even up in the cockpit. She is beginning to lose her fear of heeling the boat and is starting to gain much needed confidence in both the ability of the boat, and in herself.

We then anchored in a new cove just around the corner from our marina and spent the afternoon swimming and listening to music the kids wanted ( God help me, I can only handle so much Boy band stuff ) We had a great lunch and the kids and I got plenty of sun and fun. We raised the main sail and I put Colby at the helm while I raised the anchor and we sailed off the anchor and all the way into the slip, pfft who needs a motor ;-)



Several years ago our digital camera broke and we hadn't replaced it, and to give you an idea how old it was I think it was 3 megapixal. Well after much research on the subject and reading I decided it was time to spring for a new one, and considering where we are going next year I don't want just "ok & so/so" pictures of this. I picked up a nice digital camera to help chronicle our trip in super detail, every bead of sweat and every grain of sand ;-) We are now the proud albit confused and overwhelmed owners of a Nikon D5100 SLR camera. These are a couple shots taken yesterday.

Today the kids and I went for a hike that consisted of several miles of rocky trails that we foolishly did all wearing flip flops. We had a great hike and got several shots with the new camera of nature, the kids and some really neat creative shots. 






It was around 100 degrees today and after that hike the kids couldn't wait to hop in the water. It was a great day and the kids are whipped... Of couse so is their father lol.. 















1 comment:

  1. Love it! Visit us at http://sanjuansufficiency.com/

    Keep going with the kids & the boat. I'll be following the comments on wheel - vs - tiller. It should be interesting. I've thought about it, a tiller is more fun but I'd then have to re-do or do without my auto-pilot, and I really do like that little black box thingy.

    ReplyDelete