Friday, January 27, 2012

When in doubt, sail it out!


So the person I could most accurately describe as my best friend Ty and I were working on his boat. He has an outboard engine that won't start due to stale fuel, even thought it is pretty much new. We actually removed his engine today and decided we were going to sail his new boat sans motor. 

I thought, "they did it without an engine long ago, we don't need one" I figured we could scull the boat with the rudder and also paddle with an oar we had to get out. Well about the time I took off the dock lines and pushed off, then jumped on the boat, we got what could only be described as an unfavorable gust ;-) This lead to a couple brief butt puckering moments and an emergency landing on the last dock before we would have beached on the rocky shore *whoops!*

We managed to retry our little venture and used a small battery operated trolling motor to give us a shove out on the lake. The weather was pretty favorable for a first time sailing and though we had a few doldrum moments, we sailed along well. 

When the time came to return to the marina we decided to sail this bad boy all the way in.. With a combination of sheer luck, good wind and my wicked awesome skill (sarcasm) we sailed it right into the slip without any use of an engine. Simply sculling and sailing.. End result was a great first time, no damage to anyone, the boat or an ego. A good time was had by all !

Now Ty owes me lunch for the Giants winning against the 49ers, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment