Friday, January 31, 2014

Community Of Kindred Spirits

I'm not sure if it's the type of people out here cruising and living aboard, or if it's the life here and the struggles we share that make people treat each other with such kindness and concern. I have seen people launch their dinghy and race to help a total stranger without a second thought. People do not think twice about loaning out or giving away a piece of valuable equipment, knowing that one day the favor will be returned by someone, somewhere. We all come from different walks of life, cultures, backgrounds that vary as much as the types of boats we sail. Yet we are all drawn together by the one thing that binds us, makes us kindred spirits, our love of the sea. 

Now personally, I am a hopeless romantic about the ocean. Maybe because I've read one to many Bernard Moitessier books, but there is a special connection between man and the sea. (women too!) It draws men to it, to live near it and on it's waters. The ocean is the ultimate provider, it gives life, and if not careful washes it away. Maybe I'm drawn to the amazing power that the ocean holds, I have the upmost respect for it's wrath and the upmost appreciation for it's beauty. Either way there is something about the people that dare to live on her that gives me a sense of community like I've never felt or seen, it's good for the soul and it renews my faith in humanity. In a world that seems like everywhere I look I see society appear to be crumbling, it gives me hope. This is part of the reason my family and I are here, part of the reason we want to sail away and explore this last bastion of freedom, the last sense of adventure that can be had in an ever shrinking world. While we build our sailing kitty, finish preparations and get ready to head out, I honestly can't think of a better community to be in. 

While the rest of the world runs off to work in a car that's not paid for to keep up with a mortgage on a house they hardly get to enjoy, I get to spend every single day with my family and my children. The amazing thing is we are saving more money and financially more stable making 1/4 of the money we were making when we worked our "professional jobs". Working less, living in paradise, spending more time with my family, seeing my children grow up and being more financially sound. I'm doing the exact opposite of what society in this country teaches, thankfully I'm trying to break the cycle of consumption and debt with my kids. We use less, are completely self sufficient on our floating home, yet we don't sacrifice comfort. We make our own power,  soon we will have the ability to make our own water, and the ocean provides an abundance of food. Living simply hasn't restricted us, it has freed us, we are free to enjoy life. I know this isn't for everyone, but I hope just one person reading our blog will have the courage to break away. The only thing that really stops us from doing what we dream about is fear, once you realize the real fear should be in the above life of debt and mindless work until you die, you can be free. Even if it's just for a few years, every person should feel what it's like to be truly free. 

It's all of this I'm convinced brings us as liveaboards together, molds us into better people. Understand I don't say better to mean better than anyone else who chooses to live differently, I mean better with our own self improvement. I can honestly say I am a better person, more thoughtful, mindful of my footprint and place in the world. The sea constantly reminds me of my place in the world, daily it reminds me of the beauty around me and my own mortality. I think people need that reminder once in a while. Things that would have been an afterthought in the world around me become important, things like weather. 

Today I feel an overwhelming appreciation of the world and people I'm am surrounded by, the friends we have made and the ones we have yet to meet. I am thankful, humbled and honored to be part of this very large community of people that choose to live on the sea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment