Friday, October 11, 2013

Dry Tortugas Trip Revisted

Now that we have been back in Boot Key for a little while and reflected on our trip, we have been able to see our strengths, weaknesses and what we need to change. We did a lot right, few things went wrong or didn't work in a practical application but overall the trip was a huge success. It showed us we are almost ready for much larger and longer trips. I'll address sections just as I did on paper and show how the trip revealed some unknown issues, or should I say challenges. 

PROVISIONING:

If you would have seen me provision for this trip, you would have sworn we were getting ready to leave for a circumnavigation. Excessive, well maybe but I made sure we wouldn't be lacking in the food or water department if we did get stranded somewhere. During the trip we ate better than we did at home with great home cooked meals each night, big breakfasts most days, and a variety of lunches. Most importantly I did not run out of rum!
The list of spares I've been able to build allows me to replace all consumables (belts, fuses, hoses, filters) multiple times as well as replace several vital components (starters, alternator, water pumps) without needing a repair shop or store. I've got clamps, enough spare water hose to completely redo my freshwater system, enough wire to redo the boat and connectors for it all. There are just a few things I still want to get together before I'll feel comfortable heading out to someplace distant and remote, but i'm close. There were however a few things I found we need to implement before we head out.

I got several ideas for foods with longer shelf lives that we can supplement with fresh produce when we get to different locations. One of our biggest successes was almond milk. Refrigerate after opening and even then it's not exactly necessary if you are going to consume it in a few days. In my opinion it tastes better than dairy milk and can be used almost as a desert. Left over rice with a couple spoons of sugar and topped with almond milk actually makes a sweet desert. Many of the things you think need refrigeration actually don't. Eggs can last quite a while without being in the fridge, the key is to turn them every few days (I'm told this isn't even necessary) things like Ketchup, mustard and many condiments kept someplace cool and dark will last indefinitely. Our family of 4 uses an Engel 40qt fridge and while we sometimes have to play fridge Jenga, it works fine for our needs. I have toyed with the thought of buying another 40qt Engel and running it strictly as a freezer, allowing me to store a good amount of meats and frozen perishable products in a container that will only be opened a couple times per day. The Engel is so energy efficient if kept insulated and not opened I should be able to keep the consumption down to a level not noticeable.   

Overall I'd give us a B for provisioning, especially since this was our first 2 week+ trip  

ENERGY:

Our new battery bank was topped off the day of our departure and was what we used for lights, fans, radio and watching movies, these were the very large 6 volt batteries I installed recently meant for heavy duty use. Almost every battery on the shelf states the useable life at 300 cycles to 50%, these batteries are rated at 1,000 cycles to 50% and were designed for industrial forklifts etc. Even with no charging our energy consumption left us at 12.2 on the meter at the end of the trip. We never had to run the generator. Our other small battery bank was used to start the engine and run the fridge and in between anchorages the wind generator was enough to keep it up. This weekend I'll be installing the solar panels which will give us ample power! The Whale flipper pump was also a great addition saving both water and energy. 

What I wasn't comfortable with was the amount of fuel I brought along. We knew that we would be beating against a lot of head and weather going this time of year, but I didn't intend on motoring nearly as much as we did. I had probably 20 gallons in the main tank and brought two 5 gallon cans kept on the deck. Truth be told I'm sure I had enough but stopping in Key West to grab 10 gallons gave me piece of mind anyway. Next time I'll just top it all off, which would give me enough fuel to motor all the way to the Virgin Islands lol. 

In this department I'd give us a B+ and an instant A+ once these panels are installed. 

GROUND TACKLE:

You know you've got the right ground tackle when people gasp at the sight of your anchor as you are dumping it off the bow. Our 55lb Rocna may seem like overkill to most, but it sure does give a warm and fuzzy feeling when the wind is whipping outside and you are confident it's not going to drag. Combine that anchor with our 150 ft of pure chain and 150ft of 5/8 rode behind it and you've got a good nights sleep. Our anchor wasn't even set on the bottom during our stay at Dry Tortugas. Where we anchored was about 3 inches of sand with a hard bottom underneath, however it held because of the sheer weight of the anchor and mostly the chain. When I inspected the anchor I couldn't believe it held in 40kt winds and several squalls each day. This was my intention when coming up with our ground tackle setup. Our other anchors are a Fortress meant for a 60 ft boat and a 35lb Delta as a lunch hook. 

Easily an A on this one....

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: 

There are a few things we really need to work on to improve life while cruising. 

1. A new jib
Our 100% jib is undersized and doesn't allow a correct slot to drive the boat forward. A larger headsail would make the boat perform much better giving us better speed, more sailing ability and reducing motoring ( I hate running the engine) I knew when I chose this boat it was stout and needed a stiff breeze to move it along, but when you have a schedule sometimes that stiff breeze isn't there or it's dead on your nose ;-)

2. Showering
The solar shower works, it's 5 gallons and believe it or not it gives you enough water for the entire family to shower, it does get a little sketchy if all three of my long haired family members need to really wash their hair. I don't spend much time doing that anymore! For rinsing gear and showering it would be a great improvement to add a water pump and tank designated for this purpose, which also brings me to the next...

3. Rain catchment
While we never ran out of water and returned with more than half of it, long term cruising a good rain catchment system will keep us out longer without needing a fill up. We had plenty of rain during our trip and if we would have had a rain system setup, we would have returned with full water tanks. 

4. Bad weather gear
This may be number 4 on the list but it's at the top of mine. A paratech sea anchor or something similar is something I am going to invest in. This is a big chute you deploy from the front of the boat that opens up and slows your progress as well as keeps the nose pointed into the wind. During very bad storms these have saved many of boats from certain disaster. As long as you have sea room you can reduce your speed to under .5 kts. There was one time during our trip where I would have moved into open water to get some sea room, deployed the chute and watched a movie below while I waited for the storm to end. I also need more foul weather gear for Jessica and Colby. 

5. More Experience with Heavy Weather Sailing
Now that we are back on the mooring ball we have found it much easier to just take off and go. We have taken trips to the reef, day sails, sunset sails etc. Taking the boat out more in less than ideal conditions will help with our comfort level. This will just come with time. 

There are a few other things but for the most part this trip was a success and a confirmation we are close to ready. The Dry Tortugas in many ways is tougher than a Bahamas trip and it was a great gauge to see our progress. With some small improvements, projects and more sailing we will with no doubt be ready to go!

SUMMARY:

This was a trip I'm sure the kids won't forget, however I'm sure it will be thrown on the back burner as we travel and each new experience seems better than the last. For Jessica and I it confirmed we are doing the right thing. Watching the kids tie knots, read books and explore the world around them instead of getting carpal tunnel playing a video game. They get to experience true adventure, excitement, fear, and trying new things almost on a daily basis. We are raising them to be good stewards of our environment, conservationists and hopefully future leaders. They are in touch with nature, using their imagination and thinking outside the box. Jessica and I on the other hand get to spend what little time we have while they are young being an active part of their lives. This alone is worth the price of admission. 

Each sunset, sunrise and new experience seems more beautiful than the last. This is how life was meant to be lived, enjoying the simplest of things. Things most people don't even give a second glance are cherished. This life may not be for everybody, but there is a way to do something similar or at least simplify your life. Instead of working harder, reduce your needs and work less. Do you really need to spend 150 dollars a month on cable? Do you need a 400 dollar car payment, 150 dollar cell phone bill etc? Things we think we need, really turn out to be silly when you look back, as you kick back on vacation living with that extra money. That easy a person could quit working overtime and get ahead, spending time at home instead of at work. Spending money doing things, instead of buying things. I see friends that are always trying to get ahead, when what they really need to do is go ahead by giving up the excess. That being said, if you think living aboard might be something I only have one thing to say.. 

Quit making excuses, liquidate and navigate!!






No comments:

Post a Comment